Posts contain affiliate links so readers can locate resources mentioned in recipes & articles. Merci.
Easy Greek Spanakopita Recipe – Years ago, when we lived in Cyprus, we were introduced to a variety of authentic Greek dishes.
Mrs. Kristofides – our landlady – lived in the sunny apartment downstairs and made a habit of sharing all traditional dishes with us. It was her way of introducing us to the cuisine of Cyprus and Greece.
First Course or Main Dish: Prepare An Easy Greek Spanakopita Recipe
In a hurry? I know from experience that you would enjoy this wide variety of Mediterranean recipes
Here is another yummy recipe she taught us how to prepare! It has remained a family favorite through the years.
Spanakopita (Spinach Pie)
Spinach and feta cheese wrapped in layers of buttery Phyllo dough and baked to a golden brown.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Yield: 4 - 6
- Cuisine: Greek
- 10 sheets of puff pastry sheets – 15 by 12
- 1/2 cup of melted butter
- 1 1/4 pounds of fresh spinach
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- 2 green onions, minced
- 2 cups of small curd cottage cheese (or all feta instead of the combo)
- 1 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- salt and pepper
- Cut the phyllo dough in half and place 10 pieces in an 11 by 7 inch pan, brushing the pan and each sheet of phyllo dough with melted butter.
- Wash the spinach and remove stems. Cut the leaves into 1/2 inch pieces, mix with with 1 tablespoon of salt and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- Beat the eggs, add the parsley, onion and cheeses.
- Squeeze the liquid from the spinach leaves and fold them into the egg mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread over the phyllo sheets in the pan and top with the remaining 10 sheets of dough, brushing each sheet with butter.
- Bake in a moderate over (350*F.) for about 40 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve hot.
The traditional spanakopita is not prepared in a pie plate. It’s just that pie plates – disposable ones at that – come in very handy when the cook is in a hurry or wants to share the goodness.
(Visited 120 times, 37 visits today)