Years ago, I susbscribed to the Cookbook Digest©. The Banana Split cake recipe was the perfect dessert for a large family birthday gathering we had one year. It was an instant success and became a permanent request for similar events. Disclaimer: Not a crumb of this recipe is mine except the memories it brought to kids and adults alike. I know you will enjoy it as well.
- Sit back, revel in the compliments and be sure to enjoy a slice of cake with the best of tropical flavors!
- 2 cups of cookie crumb crust mix (recipe follows)
- 1/4 cup of butter or margarine, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 to 4 ripe bananas (not too ripe – you want nice slices)
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can of crushed pineapple, drained well (I drain then allow the fruit to sit on a paper towel)
- 1 (13 1/2 ounces) container of Cool Whip© or 1 pint of whipped cream flavored with Vanilla essence
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts.
Banana Split Cake Cookie Crumb Crust Mix
- 6 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups of finely chopped nuts
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed firmly
- 1 pound of butter or margarine, softened. (we use butter)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, chopped nuts and brown sugar. Blend well and with then, with a pastry blender, cut in the butter or margarine until the crumb mixture looks like cornmeal.
- Press the mixture firmly into non-buttered, large shallow baking dish or a Pyrex® 13 x 9 pan.
- Bake about 15 minutes and allow to cool.
- Crumble the crumb mixture into very small crumbs and store in a large airtight container. Store in a cool, dry place and use within 4 to 6 weeks.
- Makes about 10 ½ cups of cookie crumb crust mix.
In a medium bowl, combine cookie crumb crust mix and ¼ cup melted butter or margarine.
- Press into an un-buttered 13 by 9 inch glass pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, 1 cup soft butter or margarine and the sifted powdered sugar.
- Beat 10 to 15 minutes, until smooth and spread evenly over the crumb crust in the pan.
- Slice the bananas evenly over the top of the egg mixture.
- Spread the drained and dried, crushed pineapple evenly over the bananas.
- Top with either the whipped topping or the REAL whipped cream.Sprinkle with finely chopped nuts… or not.
- Refrigerate three to four hours.