Miniature version of a classic sandwich. Perfect as a hearty appetizer but supersize it and you have the perfect side for a bowl of soup.
- 1 (8oz) loaf of Party Rye slices (the square loaf found in the deli section of the supermarket)
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon horseradish (or to taste)
- Well drained sauerkraut (pat dry on a paper towel)
- 3/4 to 1 lb. thinly sliced corned beef
- 8 ounces of sliced, aged imported Swiss cheese (has more “bite” than ordinary Swiss)
- Chopped parsley is optional
- Note: I use an 8 ounce can of Libby’s® “Crispy” Kraut but if you anticipate making a double batch, get the 14 1/2 ounce can.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Arrange slices on a large cookie sheet.
- In a small bowl, stir the mayonnaise, chili sauce, horseradish and some chopped parsley until well blended.
- Spread mayo mixture on each slice of rye then top with corned beef, sauerkraut and then cheese.
- Bake about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden.
- You could use the toaster oven, but broil instead of bake. In this case, you want all your ingredients to be at room temperature as the mini sandwiches will spend a considerably shorter amount of time being “heated”.
- Serve immediately and watch them fly off the platter.