Nothing tastes like “home” more than Grandmère’s Sausage Stuffed Tomato recipe. Vine ripened tomatoes bursting with fresh flavor and stuffed with a well seasoned sausage filling then baked to juicy perfection.
- 4 large vine ripened tomatoes
- 2 (1 lb.) packs of Bob Evans® sage seasoned sausage
- 3 large cloves of garlic
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley
- Seasoned bread crumbs (Progresso® brand)
- 1/2 cup of fresh breadcrumbs (I used 3/4 of a slice of sourdough Panini bread but my crumbling up stale baguette is even tastier)
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Scoop out the tomatoes
- Keep the pulp and dice it into small pieces
- Season the inside of the tomatoes with herbs, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cook the sausage over low heat so that the fat is rendered but the sausage meat is not dried out.
- Remove from the pan to drain on paper towels.
- In a clean pan, add the drained sausage, the garlic, parsley, crumbled bread dough and added seasonings – to taste.
- Mix to combine well and keep on low heat while you prepare the baking dish.
- Prepare Baking Dish
- Butter a deep pie pan or oval baking dish (large enough to fit your tomatoes without crowding them).
- Fill the tomatoes with the sausage stuffing.
- Top with seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Place in your baking dish and surround with reserved tomato pulp.
- Lightly season the tomato pulp.
- Bake in a preheated oven basting as needed for 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on the size of the tomatoes.
- Top with freshly grated Parmesan.
Why not use ground turkey or lean ground beef? Less fat but not seasoned so make sure to adjust the seasonings of your meat mixture as you prepare the tomato “stuffing”.
- Serving Size: 1 stuffed tomato