This version of the family Beef Barbecue recipe made it into the Church’s annual Community Cookbook files. Looks like Margaret was not going to share her secret ingredients with all the home chefs.
- 1 pound of ground beef (80/20%)
- One teaspoon of salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire© sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 jar of tomato relish
- 1 – 8 oz. can Hunt’s® tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Melt the butter, add ground beef, salt and pepper to taste.
- Keep turning until the beef has changed color
- Add the rest of the the ingredients in order listed. Keep turning with a fork so the meat does not burn or stick.
- As juice continues to form, fold in relish and sauce. Reduce heat.
- Cook uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until sauce is well cooked in.
- Serving Size: 4-6
Keywords: beef, barbecue, Pennsylvania, green tomato relish, Ritter's