We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Merci!
How To Make Amish Potato Salad Dressing
This old fashioned Pennsylvania Dutch recipe for a boiled creamy salad dressing can be used for potato salads but it’s also perfect for chicken salad.
I found it as a dressing for ham salad. I would not personally use it as a binding component for a sandwich spread, it was, long ago, used for that purpose. For a sandwich filling, I would opt to make homemade mayonnaise rather a cooked dressing. Just my take on it.
While searching through my mother-in-law’s recipe clippings, I’ve come across this type of salad dressing so many times in so many variations that we’ll set this particular version as the “basic” recipe for a vintage style cooked salad dressing.
Family Secret: Season with mustard for potato salad and celery seed for chicken salad!
So, from our kitchen to yours…
1/2 prepared mustard
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. flour
Generous pinch of paprika
Dash of cayenne pepper
1 beaten egg
1 cup whole milk
4 tbsp. vinegar of your choice
1 to 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Use any type of prepared mustard you prefer. Dijon is the only kind I have in the pantry. Old fashioned mustard with crushed seeds tastes great with ham. I keep a jar to make ham and Swiss sandwiches.
- In the medium sized bowl of a double boiler (or a double boiler insert), mix the prepared mustard, salt, sugar (optional in my opinion), flour, paprika and cayenne.
- Add the egg and beat together until well blended.
- Add the milk and the vinegar.
- Cook over hot water, stirring constantly, until the mixture has thickened.
- Add the butter and continue to cook until the butter is melted.
- Cool before using.
You can add snipped parsley, minced capers, or minced pickles to the dressing depending on its use.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size: 2 ounces
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 84 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 45mg Sodium: 646mg Carbohydrates: 5g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 3g Protein: 3g
Salad Dressing Containers Set: Condiment Cups with Silicone Lids for Condiments, Meal Prep, Snacks, Portion Control. Leakproof and ReusableSalad Dressing Container to go Silicone lids | For Condiments, Meal Prep, Snacks, Portion Control, Desserts, Souffle, Jello shots and Dipping Sauces
(Visited 15 times, 13 visits today)