One of our favorite Chorizo sausage soup recipes with vegetables is perfect for a chilly weekend meal. Add a cheese tray, fresh rolls and a glass of wine!
- 1 large onion (diced into small pieces)
- 2 celery stalks (diced into small pieces)
- 1 cup carrots (cleaned, peeled, cut into small pieces)
- 1 8 oz. can tomatoes, diced
- 1 pack chicken bouillon cube – low sodium
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp basil (OR 1 Tablespoon of Italian herbs)
- 3 or 4 cloves fresh garlic (crushed)
- salt, freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, robust flavor
- 4 to 6 cups water (or equilavent reduced sodium chicken stock)
- 1/2 lb. Spanish Chorizo sausage (kielbasa or Andouille works well too)
- 1 zucchini, green or yellow (or one of each) (small pieces but not too small)
- 1/2 cup small pasta (Elbows or Ditalini)
- Brown onion, celery and carrots in olive oil/butter mix on medium heat.
Once onions begin to soften, add spices & stir gently till well covered by oil/butter and aromas develop.
Add can of tomatoes with liquid, crushed garlic and low sodium chicken stock. Season to taste.
Mix well & allow to simmer for five minutes.
Add water, mix well. Allow to simmer for a bit.
Add diced zucchini & pasta. Simmer on low till pasta is tender & zucchini cooked.