Veal Stew Recipe Slow Cooker – I’m cooking a veal Marengo recipe. Loin veal chops are in the crock pot for a 6 hour slow cook.
I can hear the chef mumbling as I write. “You don’t prepare Marengo with loin chops! Or with veal for that matter.”
Today, in my kitchen, I improvised much like chef Dunant did that day.
I will admit to the recipe being “Marengo style” but I’m positive Napeleon would not object to my tampering with the original. He may have pronounced my version just as “formidable!”.
Table of Contents
An Easy And Versatile Recipe
To make things even more interesting, the only ingredient I purchased was the veal. You can, of course, replace the veal with chicken. Every other ingredient came off the pantry shelf.
Not only is this an easy recipe, it is extremely versatile.
During my shopping expedition earlier this afternoon, I came across discounted veal loin chops.
Veal is an expensive cut of meat and veal loin chops rank right up there as one of the most expensive cuts – $13.49 a pound. The discount? 30%.
I bought 3 packs which gave me six large veal loin chops. The recipe? None.
Perfect Recipe For Pantry Staples
I opened the pantry and grabbed ingredients I have used in other veal recipes – chopped and seasoned tomatoes, tomato paste, white wine.
You can easily add mushrooms to this dish but this is one rare case where I did not even have canned mushrooms. The original recipe supposedly included shrimp and eggs.
Onions, garlic, olive oil, parsley and a generous helping of Italian seasonings including basil and oregano. Preparing the tomato sauce was the most time consuming part of the entire recipe.
Instead of adding the flour to the liquid, I coated the veal loin chops and simply placed them in the crock pot. Then I poured the onion, garlic and tomato mixture on the chops.
Let’s Prepare A Veal Stew Recipe Slow Cooker!
- 6 veal loin chops
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped fine
- 3 large cloves of fresh garlic, chopped fine
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Holland House® white wine with lemon, 1½ cups
- Prepared chicken broth, 1½ cups
- 1 (15 oz. ) can of chopped tomatoes seasoned with garlic, basil and oregano; do not drain
- 2 large tablespoons of seasoned tomato paste
- ¾ cup flour
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1½ teaspoons italian seasoning
- Mix the flour with the salt, pepper and Italian herbs. Coat the chops until completely covered and set aside.
- Chop the onions and garlic. Fry on medium low heat in olive oil and butter until just golden. Turn off the heat or reduce to low. Add wine, chicken broth and contents of the can of tomatoes. Add tomato paste and stir combine well. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Place the chops as level as possible in the bottom of a 6.5 quart slow cooker. They will overlap but you can reposition them during the cooking time.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the veal chops.
- Set the slow cooker to LOW for 6 or 7 hours. Cook until the meat falls off the bone. (If using chops). The sauce should also be thick and coat a spoon.
- Serve over rice or fresh pappardelle pasta.
Vite! A Table. I am officially hungry – The whole house is filled with the aroma of Veal Marengo!